Poland, Warsaw

January 3, 2016

Poland, Warsaw: Fr. Ireneusz Meller, MIC, passed away

With deep regret we inform our Confreres that at 5:30 pm on January 3, 2016,
the second Sunday after Christmas Father Ireneusz Meller, MIC passed away
in the Provincial House in Warsaw Stegny.

For 25 years the Deceased served as a chaplain of the Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology in Warsaw.

He was 81, a religious for 62 years, and a priest for 48. The funeral will be held at the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of Mercy Parish Church at Warsaw Stegny on January 7, 2016:
at 10:00am – Funeral Vespers;
at 10:30 am – Rosary;
at 11:00am – Funeral Mass, followed by the entombment of the body at the Marian cemetery in Wawrzyszew.

 

We commend the late Fr. Ireneusz to The Divine Mercy:
Eternal rest grant him, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.


Father Ireneusz Meller, MIC, son of Francis and Henrietta nee Lipowska, was born on January 3, 1935 in the Dzierzęga village of the Duczymin Parish, in the Przasnysz District of the Diocese of Płock. He completed his elementary school in 1950 in Duczymin, and finished his 8th grade at the Nidzica High School. In 1951 he was admitted to the Marian minor seminary in Warsaw–Bielany, where he finished his 9th grade in 1952, and asked to be admitted to the novitiate, at the end of which he made his first profession of vows on August 15, 1953. He did the last two grades (10th and 11th) of high school in Góra Kalwaria in 1954-56, and went to study philosophy at the Warsaw seminary (1956-58). He spent afterwards a year of sabbatical in Stoczek Klasztorny, where he made his perpetual profession of vows on August 15, 1959. After making his perpetual vows, he was sent to study at the seminary in Włocławek. In 1961 his studies were interrupted for a year, and he was sent to Głuchołazy. In 1962 he was transferred to the religious house at Vilnius as a sacristan. From 1964 to 1967 was studied at the Major Seminary in Siedlce. He was ordained to the sub-diaconate (December 17, 1966), to the diaconate (February 18, 1967), and to the priesthood (May 20, 1967) by Wenceslas Skomorucha, the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Siedlce, at the cathedral in Siedlce.

Father Ireneusz’s first assignment after ordination was Skórzec, where he worked as a catechist and assistant in pastoral work. In 1971 he was transferred to Głuchołazy to serve as a catechist and assistant in pastoral work. In addition, in accordance with the then standing law, the local community elected him to the office of vicar of the local superior, and the Provincial Superior appointed him the house treasurer.

In 1978 he was transferred to Warsaw to serve as a catechist at the religious house on Wileńska Street, and in 1981 he was sent from that house to the house in Jegłownik–Elbląg, where he was appointed a vicar. In 1982 he was transferred to Elbląg as the parish vicar. In 1983 he became the first councilor of the Elbląg house. For 23 years Fr. Ireneusz served in various parishes as a catechist, especially of children.

In 1990 he was transferred to Warsaw Stegny and appointed to work as a chaplain at the Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology. While serving there, Fr. Ireneusz obtained in 1994 a new location for chapel. The chapel was consecrated by the Primate of Poland, Cardinal J. Glemp in 1999.

Director of the Institute petitioned the Provincial Superior for extending Fr. Ireneusz’s assignment with the Institute on account of the pastoral methods of contact and treatment of patients that the latter developed. In May of 2011 the Institute authorities petitioned again for further extension of Fr. Ireneusz’s appointment to the office of chaplain at the Institute, which he fruitfully carried out for more than 25 years in total.

In the last weeks of life he struggled with an incurable disease. He died on January 3, 2016, on 81st anniversary of his birthday.

May he rest in peace.

Other news

2018-03-15T16:09:43+00:00