October 4, 2011
Poland, Warsaw: Fr. Julian Kałowski, MIC, passes away
With deep sorrow we inform the confreres that on October 4, 2011, Fr. Julian Kałowski, MIC, age 78, member of the Religious House at Warsaw-Marymont, passed on at the Specialist Hospital in Międzylesie.
The funeral solemnity will take place Thursday, October 6, 2011, at Our Lady Queen of Poland Church in Warsaw-Marymont. The Rosary will be recited at the casket side at 11:30 a.m., followed by a concelebrated Holy Mass at 12 p.m., after which the body will be put to rest at the Marian cemetery in Wawrzyszew.
We commend the Departed Fr. Julian to the Divine Mercy: May he rest in peace!
Father Julian Kałowski, son of Stanisław and Zofia neé Lech, was born on May 12, 1933, in Dziechciniec, parish of Wiązowna in the district of Otwock of the diocese of Warsaw-Praga. After finishing six grade at elementary school in Malcanów and the seventh grade in Wiązowna, in 1950 Julian entered the Minor Seminary of the Catholic Apostolic Association in Wadowice-Kopiec, where he completed two years. In 1952 he asked to be admitted into the Congregation of Marian Fathers. He made his novitiate in Skórzec, after which he professed his first religious vows on August 15, 1953. Transferred to the house at Wileńska Street in Warsaw, in 1953-55 he completed his 10th and 11th grades, thus obtaining this “religious” high school certificate. In 1955-57, he studied philosophy and in 1957-58 he fulfilled the gate-keeper’s duties at his religious house. He made his perpetual vows at Stoczek Klasztorny on August 15, 1957. In 1958-62 he studied theology at the Major Seminary in Włocławek, where he was also ordained to the priesthood on June 24, 1962, by Bp Antoni Pawłowski. After the ordination, he attended the intercongregational pastoral course at the Institute of Theology run by the Franciscans in Cracow.
Father Julian’s first post was in Grudziądz: he served there in 1963-43 as a catechist and did pastoral work at St. Francis Xavier Church. He transferred to Bielany in Warsaw. In 1964-65 he was the chaplain of the local hospital, also helping with organizing the Provincial Archives. In 1965-68, Fr. Julian served in Skórzec, carrying out the offices of a catechist, house treasurer, and the assistant Novice Master. In 1968 he obtained his high school certificate and was transferred afterwards to the Bielany House and sent to study at the Faculty of Canon Law of the Catholic Theological Academy – ATK (now the Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University – UKSW). He graduated in 1971 with the Master’s Degree in Canon Law. Next, he began writing his doctoral thesis. In 1971-72, he went to Rome in order to collect the necessary materials for his thesis entitled Odnowa Zakonu Marianów (studium prawno-historyczne) [Renewal of the Marian Order (Study of the legal and historical aspects)]. In 1983, he was named an assistant professor at the ATK. From 1984, Fr. Julian resided at the Warsaw-Marymont Religious House. In 1994, he was named a professor by the President of the Republic of Poland. Working at the Faculty of Law, Fr. Julian carried out the duties of a secretary, associate dean and dean of the Faculty. He was also the editor-in-chief of the semi-annual Prawo Kanoniczne [Canon Law]. Also, he was the censor of publications produced by ATK and UKSW, being at the same time the legal councilor and censor at the Marian Publishing House; a lector of the Religious Orders’ Law in our seminary in Lublin and in our novitiate.
Father Julian prepared many confreres in our Province for their perpetual vows. He ran religious monthly renovations – time of spiritual renewal. He assisted numerous religious congregations in creating and formatting their constitutions. He wrote many articles and books on Canon Law. For his academic and didactical efforts, he was awarded a Knight’s Cross and a Medal for National Education. He always displayed good humor and kindness toward his confreres. May the Good Lord grant him life eternal at the House of the Father.
Eugene Zarzeczny, MIC